- Download and install Polylang activate it.
- Go to Settings > Languages to add your desired languages
- From the Languages tab, Select your desired language from drop-down below “Add new Language”
- After you finish adding the languages, switch to the Settings tab and set the default language.
- (optional) If you want to keep your URL simple and don’t want the language to append after URL, check the tick beside “The language is set from content” from URL Modifications
- Click on “Save Changes”
- Now click on the ‘Strings Translations’ tab
- From here you can translate site title, description, widget title, date and time format.
- After making your changes click on “Save Changes”
Setting up Multi Language Menu
After installing Polylang, you need to assign the menu for the default language and create new menus for the languages you’ve just added.
- Go to Appearance -> Menus (You’ll find that additional theme locations are added per language.)
- Create new menu for second language and assign
- If you want you can add a language switcher, so the users can toggle between languages.
- Check the box beside “Language Switcher” from the left Pane and add it to both of the menu.
- Click on “Save Menu”
Adding Multilingual Content
Post & Page
Adding content in different languages is easy in Polylang. Let’s get familiar with the process by creating a new page.
- Go to Pages and select a page
- On the edit screen, you will notice the new languages meta box.
- Your default language content will be automatically be selected
- To add content on another language Just click on the + icon (add new) and add in your multilingual content.
- Click on Publish
- Go to Appearance -> Customize -> Widgets or Frontpage -> Frontpage Widgets
- Click on a widget
- At the bottom you’ll find a “Language Switcher” drop-down
- Select your language and add content
- Click on “Save & Publish”